Friday, August 24, 2012

Vintage Item of the Day - Vintage Compact & How to Make Your Own Pressed Powder!

I am currently patting myself on the back. Really. After all, I have been updating this blog every day. Thanks for reading it, by the way!

This blog, like everything else in my life, is undergoing constant evolution, and I've realized something. Ok, actually several somethings. The first, I need more hands. Next, more hours in the day. Finally, I have realized I need an assistant.

Since I don't have time to find one at the moment, that means I have to condense a bit. This is my round about way of explaining that I just don't have time to do a full outfit of the day every day right now.

I still love the idea and will bring it back periodically and hopefully permanently in the future, but for now, I'm down-sizing to the Vintage Item of the Day, instead. That, I think I can manage.

Bear with me, please. I will still show outfits on occasion, but the upside is I can include other vintage items as well as vintage clothing and vintage jewelry, which is fabulous!

After all, there are sooo many cool vintage things out there!


Without further ado, I present today's Vintage Item of the Day, a vintage compact!



Now I love vintage compacts. To me, using a vintage compact instead of one the run of the mill boring ones you get at the drugstore or make-up counter is just the ultimate in cool.

This particular compact dates from the late 1940's - early 1950's. It is brass and has a beautiful floral print on celluloid on the lid. These celluloid inserts aren't around much, because they didn't last well, so finding one that is intact is pretty cool.

So this beautiful brass compact has a history, one of the coolest things about vintage, honestly!




This vintage compact has the original sifter and the original puff. Other than the wear and tear caused by being almost 75 years old, this vintage compact is in great shape!



Here I'm going to share a tip on HOW to use a vintage compact, because it's possible you might have wondered. After all, even if you find a vintage compact with the original powder intact (some collectors look for that, not to use though), ancient powder is definitely not something you want to put on your face!



Powder from mid-century frequently contained lead, for one thing. Not mention, it's just really, really old. Cool to see, yes, to use, no.


So, if you prefer pressed powder to loose, here is how to fill your vintage compact with fresh new pressed powder you can actually use.


 Here you go, simple as can be.



Buy some loose powder in a brand you like and color you use. Pour it out in a bowl. Now take a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Slowly pour some into the powder and mix carefully, gradually adding more rubbing alcohol until you have a thin "soupy" mixture with no clumps. Now carefully (it splashes and makes a mess easily!) pour it into the bottom of your vintage compact. Set your vintage compact filled with powder soup somewhere safe and just leave it be until all the alcohol evaporates.

An Ad for Compacts, 1953


Depending on the humidity levels where you live, this can take anywhere from 24 hours to three or four days.When it is finally dry though, you have a beautiful vintage compact filled with your favorite powder to use every day!







The ultimate in glamor, a vintage compact.











The brass with floral inset vintage compact shown above, along with others, is available at my Etsy store, Vintage Life & Design, LLC. Hope to see you there soon!



If you are searching for something, I am a fabulous vintage and antique detective! When you can't find something in particular you want, I can help!

www.VintageLifeandDesign.etsy.com

Email:  shelleysvintagelife@yahoo.com

Like us on Facebook: Vintage Life & Design
Follow us on Pinterest: shelleysvintage
Follow us on Twitter: shelleysvintagelife

No comments: