Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Vintage Outfit of the Day, New Thing!

All right, we all know what the word is on good intentions. Well, I've pretty much proved that by doing nothing on either this blog, for my business, Vintage Life & Design; or my personal blog, Skimming the Surface, which covers, well, pretty much whatever I feel like writing about; for the past month. I meant to do better, really, I did.

Aw, well. So it goes. At any rate, I've decided to start something new with this blog which, hopefully, even when I don't have time to write much, will make sure I'm adding something new every day.

People tell me all the time, "I love vintage stuff! I love your stuff, I just don't know how to wear vintage clothes." I am going to address that with a new feature I'm calling "Outfit of the Day." Ground-breakingly original title, I know, but, it does the job. So, with that, here is the very first "Outfit of the Day" from Vintage Life and Design!

Follow us on Pinterest & Twitter (shelleysvintagelife) and make sure to check out my store on Etsy, too!

www.vintagelifeanddesign.etsy.com


A cute, fun and original outfit for summer casual that incorporates lots of vintage items!

Vintage Suspenders, vintage high waist shorts, a vintage belt, vintage heart necklace and vintage Doc Marten's!
So there you have it, the very first in what is intended to be a long, long run of photos showing just how awesome vintage clothes can look! Everything in this photo is available at Vintage Life & Design, except the socks and the tank top. You have socks though, right? And a white tank top? I mean, c'mon, who doesn't own a white tank top? If you don't, get one, for goodness sake! It's a basic staple!

Here's a breakdown of the items that make up this outfit (other than the tank top & socks!):

Suspenders: There is something about wearing a pair of suspenders that gives you instant style cred. Vintage 1960's - 1970's. These Y-back suspenders have brass clips and brass slides to adjust the strap length. The burgundy with flecks of navy blue straps are made of an elastic blend and are about 1 1/2" wide.
Vintage Suspenders add style to anything.


Shorts: These white, linen blend 80's high waist shorts are fabulous! I've rolled them up here for a more current look, but they can also be worn at their normal mid-thigh length.

Belt: This is an 80's embellished belt, complete with faux topaz stones set in periodically. It's pretty cool.






Gold heart pendant I've had for ages.

Necklace: This is a gold heart pendant I have had since I was a little girl in the 1970's. Yeah, it's old. I keep stuff, always have. Probably why I now have a vintage store. : ) The chain is not original, it's just a good quality gold-tone chain that I put the pendant on.

Shoes: Calling Doc Marten's, especially really cool, old, 1970's Doc Marten's shoes seems somehow sacrilegious. Anyone who knows anything about fashion history and/or pop culture knows that Doc Marten's have been key in defining social categories and change for decades. Doc Marten's are, simply, It. The ultimate in cult footwear.  


These are the coolest Doc Marten's I've ever handled personally. 1970's.







So there you have it, the very first "Outfit of the Day." What do you think? Are you inspired to start adding some vintage style to your look? Ready to make your look unique? I hope so, let me know!

No comments: