Friday, September 28, 2012

What Have I Been Up To? A New Store!

All right, let's be honest here, I have not done well at keeping this blog updated regularly. Just too many things to do and too little time, I'm afraid.  Hopefully within the next year I'll have some help, until then, your patience is appreciated!

What have I been up to lately? Well, besides all the day to day work of running a business and a family (each one more than enough to keep me busy 24-7!), the biggest thing I've done recently is start a new Etsy store, VLD Decor and Home. Oh, I've also been making my daughters' Homecoming dress and getting started on costumes for a couple of upcoming productions, but those are topics for another day.

Why have I started a new store? Well, as business has picked up at Vintage Life & Design, I found that mixing the Decor and Home items in with the vintage clothing, vintage jewelry and vintage accessories was just getting a little confusing. I found the Decor and Home items were getting lost in everything else. So, after some thought and investigating, I decided to separate the two. Hence the new store, check it out!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/VLDDecorandHome


Yes, it's more work, especially initially while I am still transferring the listings, but overall, I think it will make it easier, both for me and for people searching for merchandise. What will you find at the new store?Basically it will be anything related to home and decor, both vintage and items I've created or up-cycled from reclaimed materials. What precisely, will depend on what treasures I find and what I get inspired to create!

Coasters, made using reclaimed tile, reclaimed rubber backing and photos from a 1950's American Home Magazine.

In order to do this, I use parts of different things to create a whole. I will take apart pieces of furniture and combine them into something new. I use only reclaimed paint, stains and finishes. Some things have to be new, I'm afraid. Old sandpaper just doesn't work well, I'm afraid, but wherever possible, I use reclaimed materials. When I refinish furniture, I paint it. I like the cottage style look so that's what I do. Why? Because it's fun. I like painting furniture, so that's what I do.

This is a beautiful Mersman table from the 1940's. The finish was a disaster and the surface was damaged, so I sanded it down and refinished it in the shabby chic style, using reclaimed paint and stain.

My philosophy of up-cycling and recycling hasn't changed. Everything I refinish, up-cycle or create is from reclaimed materials. We have so much stuff already here on the earth and so many wonderful materials that just get thrown away. I am trying to do my part by creating fresh new art pieces and home and decor items; making the old new, useable and keeping things out of landfills.



A set of vintage glass spice jars.






This small mission style storage cabinet is another that I up-cycled and refinished using reclaimed materials. I stripped it replaced the mesh and cleaned up the original hardware for use. The cabinet knobs are reclaimed replacements.



A small birdhouse I embellished and refinished.






This vintage ad from a 1963 magazine has been mounted on reclaimed Mat Board. The reclaimed frame was stripped and  refinished in the shabby chic style.















In my travels I act as a vintage and antique detective frequently, so if you're searching for something in particular, whether it's for your home, office or wardrobe, I can help!





 All of the items shown here are available at my new Etsy store, VLD Decor and Home;

www.VLDDecorandHome.etsy.com


Of course, my original store is the place to go for vintage clothing, vintage jewelry and vintage accessories!


www.VintageLifeandDesign.etsy.com

Email:  shelleysvintagelife@yahoo.com

Like us on Facebook: Vintage Life & Design
Follow us on Pinterest: shelleysvintage
Follow us on Twitter: shelleysvintagelife















No comments: