Thursday, June 14, 2012

Vintage, Wear It!

Vintage Docs, blazer, pants. Love it!
Yes, I've failed miserably at updating this blog every week, I know. Problem is I get kind of obsessive when I get into project mode and I've been in project mode the past couple of weeks. I'm forcing myself to take some time out to update though. Here goes.

Back to one of my favorite topics, wearing vintage!

Why should you wear vintage? Well, it's cool, it's trendy, it's now - and then. Vintage items are usually much higher quality than what you can get today. It's unique, no one else will have the same thing; and it has character. Wearing vintage is also a way of paying homage to those who have gone before, not to mention it's good for the environment!
Kate Middleton (or whatever she's called now) wearing a vintage brooch.
No matter what your personal style is, there is a way to incorporate vintage into it! If you're unsure, start small, jewelry is always a good bet!

I still love and wear vintage, but not the same way I did in college. Honestly, although I still love the looks, I'd look pretty ridiculous. I totally would have worn this skirt & sweater combo on the left in college, probably with bare legs or fishnets and docs or granny boots. In fact I think that is my skirt. . . !

Now, well, I would still wear the skirt, but not with the sweater. I'd wear black tights and boots or pumps, probably a black sweater and great jewelry. Same item, different look.


Totally would have worn this in college.
 Now, I admit, my style in college was pretty heavily influenced by Betsey Johnson, Cyndi Lauper, Siouxsie, of the Banshees fame and Aimee Mann, so it was a little out there. It's toned down a bit since then.
  







Mandy Moore is one the celebrities who wears vintage a lot. This outfit is pretty much what I wore on my "scrounge days" in college, although probably with desert boots instead of flats, and would still wear today. A vintage cardigan, jeans, flats and a t-shirt. Casual and cute. Switch the t-shirt for a cute tank or cami, add a skirt and cute heels and it's up-scale in no time!
Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon all in Vintage.

Kristin Davis wears Vintage often.
Of course wearing Vintage for formal occasions is so much fun. Most of us, unfortunately, just don't get all that many occasions to dress up. It's a favorite for a lot of celebrities though.

Some people go full on vintage, the whole outfit. If you like the look and have the confidence to carry it off, go for it! Most people are more comfortable mixing vintage items with everyday stuff that's more recent. It's all about feeling good about the way you look!

Full - on Vintage

Following are lots of photos of people wearing vintage, some famous some not. Check them out, see what you like and what you don't. Use their looks to find tips you can use to make vintage part of your own look!

Vogue Stylist Charlie Jones in Vintage shorts & clogs. 


Street Style Vintage in British Vogue



More Street Style Vintage in British Vogue
Zooey D in vintage coat & hat.
Vintage jeans, blouse, belt. Modern sandals.
Vintage Everything
Vintage Dress & Boots
Amber Lancaster, vintage jacket.
Winona Ryder wears vintage most of the time.
Vintage dress.





No comments: